This stunning charred plum toast with burrata cheese and honeycomb is an ode to the delights of varied textures and flavors. From the toasted bread to the juicy blackened stone fruit and milky soft cheese, you’ll delight your taste buds and eyes with this simple but elegant breakfast, brunch or lunch.
If you find a new way to dress up toast, you can count me in. From classic buttery avocado toast with a yolky fried egg on top to sweet berry jam, I’m always looking for new and creative ways to dress up a thick slice of gluten-free bread. If you’re with me, you’re going to absolutely love this over-the-top summery take on breakfast.
How to Make Charred Plums
It’s hard to say which ingredient truly steals the show in this recipe. You can decide whether it’s the crunchy, caramel-flavored honeycomb, the bitter and herby mizuna, or the crispy and sweet charred plums. However you fall, you really don’t want to skip any of the recipe components.
Start by making your charred plums. I find the easiest way to do this is with a hand-held kitchen torch. Simply run the flame over the sliced plums to caramelize the sugars until the fruit takes on a crisp, slightly darkened look. The fruit will naturally soften and release its sweet, summery flavor as you char it.
If you don’t have a torch, you can also blacken the plums under the oven broiler or in a hot skillet on the stove. If you use the broiler, be sure to keep a close eye on things and rearrange the fruit as necessary. Most ovens have hot and cold spots.
Building the Toasts
When your fruit is beautifully charred, you’re ready to build your impressive meal. Lay the slices of toast on a serving plate, and decorate them with plum wedges, hand-torn burrata pieces, delicate mizuna leaves and flowers, gobs of honeycomb, and a drizzle of high-quality olive oil.
Top things off with a sprinkle of flaky salt and pepper, and you’re ready to dig in.
- 8 plums, cut into wedges
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- ½ cup mizuna with flowers
- 2 tablespoons honeycomb
- Olive oil to finish
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Place the plums on a baking sheet. Using a kitchen torch, gently blacken the plums.
- Toast the bread and place on serving plates.
- Tear the burrata into several pieces and arrange them on top of the toast. Top each piece of toast with charred plums, mizuna leaves, mizuna flowers, honeycomb, a drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
More Decadent Toast Recipes
- Smoked Salmon Toasts with Caraway and Mascarpone
- Winter Citrus Toast with Egg and Ricotta
- Savory Summer Toast with Harissa Labneh and Eggs
If you’re looking for more delicious toast inspiration, follow me on Instagram, where I’m always sharing new innovative recipes!