Summer is all about making and enjoying incredible food that’s easy. Simple. This savory toast recipe is just that – & perfect for a Summer morning, mid-day or evening meal.
There’s so much exploring, traveling, and “simply being” happening in Summer. So no worries, I’ve got you covered. Whether you have a non stop work week and want a carefree weekend or you’re getting ready to pack up and head out to the beach for the day, this recipe is simple and satisfying. With just a few ingredients to pull together, you can enjoy a delicious, protein filled meal.
Also it’s important to add that the turmeric olive oil is a life changer. Promise. I’d recommend making extra to have on hand. Drizzle it on everything. Absolutely everything. If you’re short on time, you can use whatever greens you have in your fridge, and skip tossing it in lemon, simply drizzling on more infused oil.
This is part 1 of 2 of our community inspired Summer toast series! Coming soon, a sweet Summer toast variety! Thanks to all who helped inspired this post over on Instagram. Would love to have you be apart of our recipe chats – follow along to stay in the know of our next upcoming!
Savory Summer Toast with Harissa Labneh, Poached Egg, Greens and Turmeric olive oil
Yield 4 servings
The turmeric infused olive oil used in this recipe is a life changer. I'd recommend making extra to have on hand. Drizzle it on everything. Absolutely everything. If you're short on time, you can use whatever greens you have on hand, skip tossing it in lemon and just drizzle more infused oil to moisten.
- 4 thick slices of bread, toasted
- 4, 3 minute poached eggs
- 1 small bunch each of arugula, microgreens, dill
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive Oil
- Black sesame seeds
- Harissa labneh [recipe below]
- Turmeric infused olive oil [recipe below]
Turmeric Infused Olive Oil
- 35g fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 16 oz. (2 cups) extra virgin, quality olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (1 cup) whole fat greek yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pinch sea salt
- Toss together arugula, microgreens and dill in a small bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with the greens. Set aside.
- Toast bread. Set aside.
- Poach eggs. See this recipe for instructions.
- Assemble toasts: Spread toast generously with harissa labneh. Top with a pile of greens. Set poached egg on top. Drizzle with turmeric oil and garnish with seeds. Enjoy!
Prepare Turmeric Infused Olive Oil
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in medium saucepan.
- Add tumeric to olive oil just before boiling point and immediately adjust heat to low.
- Allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to cool. Add salt.
- Once cooled, blend mixture to fully infuse the oil with tumeric.
- Strain oil through a nut bag into a glass bowl. *Wear disposable gloves to prevent intense hand staining!
- Put oil in a glass jar and reserve the turmeric bits in a separate container if you’re keen to use later for cooking.
- Store in fridge. Read more here on making and storing infused olive oils.
Prepare Harissa Labneh
- Line a fine - mesh sieve with 2 layers of cheesecloth and set over a medium sized glass bowl.
- Place yogurt in sieve, cover with plastic wrap and let drain in fridge for 1 day. Discard liquid.
- Place strained yogurt in a small bowl and add harissa paste, zest and salt. Stir.
- Store in fridge in airtight jar for up to 1 week.