This savory skillet pasta recipe features tender gluten-free pasta coated in a creamy and rich caramelized onion sauce. With a few simple ingredients and less than 20 minutes, you can whip up this delicious vegetarian pasta dinner with ease.
I’m all about easy pasta dinners. No matter the time of year, there’s always some seasonal produce that will inspire me to create a new skillet pasta sauce recipe. Currently, I’m all about alliums. It’s hard to beat the naturally sweet-savory flavor and soft, jammy texture of caramelized onions. And when you fortify your pasta sauce with sautéed mushrooms and my easy whipped 5-onion dip for even more allium goodness, you have an out-of-this-world combination.
Here’s what you need to know to make this creamy caramelized onion pasta.
How to Make Creamy Caramelized Onion Strozzapreti
If you can find it, I recommend using gluten-free strozzapreti pasta. It’s a short, twisted hollow noodle that soaks up this silky-smooth onion sauce into every nook and cranny. Of course, any other short or hollow noodle shape will also work. Penne or ziti are both good options.
To build the sauce, you’ll get tons of flavor from my 5-Onion Dip. It’s made with three kinds of onions, scallions and garlic and has a wonderfully complex, umami flavor. Go ahead and make a double batch of the dip for an impromptu pre-dinner appetizer spread with crunchy crudité.
Aside from that, this pasta recipe is super easy to throw together. The sauce can be made in one skillet, so as soon as the pasta is cooked to al dente, you can toss everything together and serve it up hot.
Creamy Caramelized Onion Strozzapreti
In need of a quick but filling dinner? This pasta dish can be made in 15 minutes or less and is all but guaranteed to hit the spot after a busy workday or night out. Minimal ingredients and minimal prep make this recipe easy-breezy. Not to mention it’s fully vegetarian and packed with umami from mushrooms, caramelized onions and parmesan.
- 16 ounces dried strozzapreti pasta, or your favorite dried gluten-free hollow-style pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 2½ cups 5 onion dip
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons thyme leaves
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Strain and toss with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onion dip and cream. Stir often until bubbling and saucy.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well. Garnish with thyme, freshly cracked pepper, and parmesan cheese.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. This makes a delicious lunch the next day! You can also add protein with sautéed shrimp or chicken if you like.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Try these other simple weeknight pasta dinners nest (all can be made with gluten-free or regular noodles):
- Pasta Bianco with Grilled Shrimp
- Weeknight Sundried Tomato Pasta
- One-Pot Gluten-Free spaghetti Carbonara
If you love this creamy pasta recipe and want more gluten-free recipe inspiration, follow along on Instagram, where I always share new bites!