If BLTs have a special place in your heart, you’re in for a treat with this recipe. BLTs are an all-American classic summertime lunch for a reason. But it’s time to shake things up with these gluten-free BLTA sandwiches, complete with a zippy Lemon Feta Spread you’ll be eating straight out of the bowl.
I’m always looking for easy ways to put a new flavorful spin on timeless recipes. Whether it’s adding juicy tomatoes to a strawberry shake or adding five (yes, five) kinds of onion to my caramelized onion dip. And now, I’m sharing my secret to the best bacon and tomato sandwiches yet.
The best part is that this is an easy way to make sandwiches for a hungry crowd. The bread is toasted in the oven so there’s no shortage of toaster space.
How to Make Gluten-Free BLTA Sandwiches
If the secret isn’t out of the bag already, the A in these crunchy, savory sandwiches is avocado. But that’s not the only upgrade here.
Each sandwich is completed by a thick smear of lemony feta spread on both slices of toast. This is a can’t-skip ingredient that holds your towering sandwiches together and rounds them out with a creamy texture and zesty flavor.
Lemon Feta Spread
Feta is a delicious summer cheese on its own. It’s salty, briny and fresh-tasting. But to really emphasize feta’s bright notes and creaminess, I like to round out the Greek cheese in my spread with:
- Mayonnaise. You can make your own or use your favorite store-bought mayo. Or, if mayo isn’t your thing, swap it out for full-fat Greek yogurt, sour cream or creme fraiche.
- Lemon juice. This is a refreshing citrusy addition to perk up all of the dairy in this spread.
- Feta. I find that fresh feta that’s packed in a brine has the best flavor, so look for a nice high-quality cheese to treat yourself.
Lemon and Feta Spread
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- ¼ cup Lemon Feta Spread
- 8 slices gluten-free seeded bread, sliced about ½-inch thick
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and dried
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced thick
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the feta spread until well combined.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle both sides with olive oil. Toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- To assemble the sandwiches, smear Lemon Feta Spread on each slice of bread, followed by butter lettuce leaves, tomato slices, crispy bacon and avocado. Repeat to build all of the sandwiches. Serve immediately.
More Summertime Recipes
If you love these gluten-free BLTAs as much as I think you will, you’ll want to give these other classic dishes a try next:
- Coffee Toffee Ice Cream, a no-churn sweet treat for hot days
- Spicy Fish Tacos, my go-to for summer taco nights
- Cherry and Elderberry Clafoutis, a sharable custardy dessert with seasonal fruit
If you’re looking for more elevated recipe inspiration, follow along on Instagram, where I’m always sharing fresh bites and delicious photos.