It’s time to unite smooth, creamy coffee ice cream with crunchy, nutty toffee. I give you homemade coffee toffee ice cream that’s made entirely in a blender (no churning necessary).
This decadent dessert is naturally gluten-free and egg-free. It’s sweetened with maple syrup and ripe banana, so it’s also free of refined sugars. And best of all? It has a dreamy, luscious texture that you simply can’t get from store-bought desserts.
It’s no secret that I love my coffee. And not just in the morning. To me, the perfect dessert has that delicious coffee flavor with sweetness from chocolate. When I couldn’t find the combo I was looking for at the store, I had to make my own coffee toffee ice cream. So join me in combining two of life’s greatest treasures: coffee and toffee.
How to Make Coffee Toffee Ice Cream
The quality of the ingredients you choose really matters in this recipe (as always). And you don’t need many to pull this treat together:
- Heavy cream and whole milk. This is the ideal combo for thick, flavorful ice cream without ice crystals. Choose organic dairy for the best flavor.
- Maple syrup. Make sure you use the real stuff! It adds a rich, caramel flavor that’s to die for when paired with coffee.
- Vanilla. Again, make sure you’re using pure vanilla. It’s the perfect compliment to bitter coffee and sweet maple.
- Coffee liqueur. This adds an extra flavor note of dark, nutty coffee to make this a truly elevated dessert.
- Cold brew coffee. You can make your own or use your favorite store-bought cold brew. It’s smoother, creamier and bolder tasting than regular brewed iced coffee.
- Frozen bananas. These are the secret to a naturally sweet flavor without lots of added sugar. Make sure to use very ripe bananas for the best flavor.
- Vodka. This may surprise you, but it’s actually all about texture. Because alcohol has a higher freezing point than the water in cream, adding a splash of vodka to your homemade ice cream helps it stay soft and scoopable, not rock-hard. Don’t worry, you can’t taste it.
- 1¼ cups organic heavy cream
- ¾ cup organic whole milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur (optional)
- ½ cup cold brew coffee, chilled
- 1½ frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon vodka (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the garnish to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to a loaf pan, cover and freeze for 4 hours or up to overnight. Or, if you have an ice cream maker, follow the manufacturer instructions to churn into ice cream. When frozen, transfer to an airtight container. Allow to thaw slightly before serving with toffee bark and caramel sauce on top.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
- Freeze directly in freezer, or - if you have an ice cream maker, follow manufacturers instructions for making ice cream. When frozen, transfer to an airtight container; cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours. Pull from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly before serving.
Can I Make Alcohol-Free Coffee Ice Cream?
Certainly! Though you can’t taste the alcohol in the ice cream once it’s all blended together and frozen, you can omit the coffee liqueur and vodka if you like.
If you lose the coffee liquor, you may want to add a dash of instant coffee to boost the flavor.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Matcha Coconut Ice Cream 3 Ways
- Vegan Cold Brew Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce
- Blackberry Ice Cream
If you love this coffee toffee ice cream but don’t eat dairy, stay tuned! I’m sharing a dairy-free version next that’s every bit as decadent, creamy and delicious. Follow along on Instagram to make sure you don’t miss it!