Hi Friends! Well, it’s July and you know what that means – ice cream season is certainly upon us. I realized recently – had this moment you know, that well for one, summer requires ice cream. And two, I have never made coffee ice cream! “Why”, I asked myself. Because coffee and ice cream are two of my favorite things ever and with these warm days and long nights, both must be thoroughly enjoyed. So naturally, this recipe for vegan cold brew ice cream with salted bourbon caramel sauce was born. With love.
So you might be asking, could there ever be such a thing – incredibly delicious, healthy, vegan ice cream?! Yes there is – and I’m here to prove it to you, by these mouth watering photos and ingredient list. Quick note – if you’re not keen on the bourbon and liqueur additions, just add extra vanilla for an equally delicious alternative.
Lastly – you don’t need an actual ice cream maker to make this! You can easily blend the mixture, and then place in a freezer safe container for a few hours. This is key though – the ice cream must soften at room temperature for well over 30 minutes – (depends on your room temperature).
Ok so actually one more thing – you can take this ice cream to the next level by adding cookie dough bits from this recent recipe! Let me know if you try this and what you think in the comments below.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this week’s recipe on Instagram! Our ice cream chats last week were super fun.
Make sure to share your weekend cooking with #ckweekends!
Vegan Cold Brew Ice Cream with Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Yield 3-4 cups
Could there ever be such a thing - incredibly delicious, healthy, vegan ice cream?! If you’re not keen on the bourbon and liqueur additions, just add extra vanilla for an equally delicious alternative.
Vegan Cold Brew Ice Cream
- 214g (1 1/2 cups) raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours
- 220g (1 cup) full fat coconut milk
- 160g (⅔ cup) cold brew coffee
- 52g (1/4 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 85g (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 2 large medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce
Makes : approx. 1 cup
- 110g (½ cup) canned coconut cream, full fat (White cream portion only - no water. *May need to chill in fridge to separate)
- 150g (¾ cup) dark muscovado sugar (or regular brown sugar)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- pinch sea salt to taste
Prepare the ice cream:
1. If you’re using an ice cream maker, follow manufacturer’s directions and prepare accordingly.
2. Soak your cashews for approximately 4 hours in filtered water.
3. Drain cashews.
4. In a high speed blender, add all ingredients and blend until creamy and smooth - about 3-4 minutes depending.
5. Freeze ice cream with your ice cream maker of choice, or simply place mixture in freezer safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours.
6. About 45 minutes before serving, allow to warm slightly at room temperature (it will be rock solid straight from the freezer).
7. Drizzle with caramel sauce if you like and enjoy!
Prepare the caramel sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add maple syrup and 2 tablespoons water. Stir. Whisk in sugar until it dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium-high; boil, occasionally swirling pan and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush, until deep amber color forms, 5–6 minutes.
- Prepare vanilla - scrape beans from pod. Set aside.
- Remove sugar mixture from heat momentarily. Stir in vanilla and coconut cream (no water portion).
- Return to medium heat and whisk until smooth and thick, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, whisk in ghee and salt to taste. Add bourbon, stir.
- Let cool at room temperature. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store leftovers in sealed jar for 2-4 weeks, warming slightly to pour when enjoying.