Hi friends! Welcome to 2018! So looking forward to the year ahead and all the creativity just waiting to come to life. If you have any requests or thoughts on what you would like to see on the blog in the coming months, I’d love to hear from you! Just leave a comment below or reach out on Instagram.
Wanted to kick off the year with a recipe that I’ve been dreaming about creating ever since my trip to New York City last November. I tried turmeric eggs for the first time at De Maria and my life was changed. You know- it was one of those moments where I was like, “umm…. why haven’t I thought of this before??”.
So here we are, back in the studio at the start of the year and all I wanted was an insanely delicious breakfast bowl. With turmeric eggs.
I asked ya’ll what you would have in your dream bowl, and the inspiration led to this incredible savory breakfast bowl with vegan hollandaise sauce and turmeric poached eggs! As with any bowl, you can add or omit whatever you like, but I must say – the ingredients I pulled together for this dish turned out absolutely delicious. I wouldn’t go without any part!
Thanks to everyone for your contribution to this beautiful dish. Always thrilled to chat ideas with you!
Savory Bowl with Vegan Hollandaise Sauce & Turmeric Poached Eggs
Yield 1 bowl
This savory bowl with vegan hollandaise sauce & turmeric poached eggs is a total game changer. The combination of ingredients makes for a creamy, yet crunchy toasted bowl that’s sure to kick start your day and make you feel great.
Bowl Base- Quinoa
- 693 g (3 cups) filtered water
- 265 g (1 ½ cups) quinoa, rinsed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pinch sea salt
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
Makes about 6 oz. (¾ cup)
- 44g (¼ cup) cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 2 oz. (¼ cup) almond milk
- 2oz. (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Turmeric Poached Eggs
- White vinegar (up to ¼ cup)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Farm fresh eggs
Bowl Assembly (1 portion)
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- ½ avocado
- 2, 3 minute turmeric poached eggs
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
- Purple cabbage, shredded
- Pickled onions (see link below)
- Tuscan kale, sautéed
- Watermelon radish, sliced
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Black sesame seeds
- Lime wedges
- Bring 3 cups water and salt to boil in medium saucepan.
- Add rinsed quinoa, stir and cover, lower to a simmer.
- Cook until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, set aside.
- *Note: You will have leftover quinoa from this recipe, enjoy!
Prepare pickled onion
Prepare toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat cast iron pan to medium heat.
- Melt coconut oil and add the pumpkin seeds and salt. Stir.
- Toast for 3-5 minutes or until they turn a light brown color, stirring every couple minutes.
- Drain cashews.
- In high speed blender, add all ingredients.
- Puree until smooth and creamy.
- *Note: keeps for up to 10 days in fridge when stored in airtight container. Enjoy on and in everything!!
Prepare poached eggs
- Pour about 4" water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce heat so water is at a gentle simmer.
- Add vinegar and turmeric. Stir.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl, then gently slide egg into water. If making more than one egg, wait 30 seconds before adding the next.
- Poach until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towels as they are done and let drain.
To assemble bowl
Add quinoa first, top with sauce and stir with spoon. Layer in all toppings and optional garnishes. Finish by drizzling with olive oil, salt and pepper. Serve warm.