How I love eggnog. Growing up, my family actually only ever bought it at the store. I never was a fan – it was way too rich and sugary. Wasn’t enjoyable really, but it was so festive! I still enjoyed a small cup when we pulled it out during the holidays, small as it was.
And then I discovered homemade eggnog. I remember the moment it changed my life.
It was spiked and at one of my favorite restaurants in Portland, Clyde Common. From that moment on, I was totally won over!
Wanted to develop my own refined sugar free, organic version to share with you! You won’t even miss the fact that sugar is missing. The maple syrup is the most wonderful combination with the spices – think of it as a rich, brown sugar type flavor instead of an overly sweet flavor you’d get from basic white sugar. And – you’ll feel so much better after!
It’s best to use all organic ingredients where possible. This isn’t something to skimp on. Save those cheap eggs for your cake. Get some farm fresh for this – will be totally worth it.
Festive Holiday Homemade Eggnog
- 4 eggs farm fresh, separated
- 127 g 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 16 oz whole milk organic
- 12 oz heavy cream organic
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Fresh grated nutmeg optional
-Per 1 cup egg nog:
- 1 ½ oz. whiskey
- ½ oz. Cointreau
- 4 drops orange bitters optional
- 6 drops cardamom bitters optional
- In mixer on high speed, beat egg yolks and maple syrup until mixture is very pale, creamy and thick, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Empty the egg yolk mixture into a blender, and add the milk, cream, vanilla and spices.
- Cover and blend at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Using mixer again on high speed, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into eggnog base.
- Add spirits and bitters if desired. Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.
- Can be served immediately or chilled. Enjoy within 2-4 days.