I grew up making cookies – I mean who hasn’t? I had a houseful of brothers and so cookies; fresh, chocolatey homemade cookies to be precise was a hot commodity. Making cookies as a young girl was actually how my love of food began – I’m actually having a sweet moment right now writing this as I would have never thought that I would be baking and cooking for a living years later! Wow life is full of surprises.
Ok so I recently was thinking about the fact that I don’t have a classic cookie recipe on my blog! How could this be I thought. So the time came where I just knew it needed to happen. And this time around, wanted to give a little spin to the classic chocolate chip cookie by developing the recipe to be gluten and refined sugar free and bonus: they’re paleo too!
Too often I think some of the best desserts are way too full of sugar – I eat one and then walk away wishing I would have had only one small bite. And who wants just one small bite of a cookie? And so here I am, to save the day with this “healthy”, delicious cookie recipe.
I love the addition of buckwheat flour (yes it’s gluten free – it’s actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel- can you believe that?!) – it gives a nice hearty texture and taste, and then of course I snuck in a splash of bourbon.
You can also spice up these cookies and make them into ice cream sandwiches! It’s the easiest addition – just slightly melt the ice cream, put between 2 cookies, re freeze and enjoy! I’ll be developing a summer ice cream recipe soon to pair with this, so stay tuned.
As always, thanks to those who contributed to this week’s recipe – @coco_pdx and @figandbleu! I’d love to see what you’re making in your own kitchen this weekend – make sure to tag your creations to #ckweekends and I’ll make sure say hey. Happy weekend!
Chocolate Chip Cookies (Paleo, Grain-free, Gluten-free, Refined-sugar-free)
- 150 g 3/4 cup butter, melted (grass fed or ghee for paleo version)
- 70 g 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons bourbon sub for extra vanilla for paleo version
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75 g 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 75 g 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (I recommend this) (sub buckwheat for paleo)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 95 g 1/2 cup dark chocolate (70%), chopped
- 55 g 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Spray two baking sheets with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. Using a mixer on medium speed, mix together melted butter (ensure butter is not hot, only just barely warm) and sugar, beating for at least 30 seconds. Add egg, maple syrup, bourbon, and vanilla. Beat on medium high, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl until combined.
- 4. Reduce mixer speed to low; slowly add dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- 5. Using a spatula, fold in chocolate and chopped nuts.
- 6. Spoon rounded tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 3-inches apart.
- 7. With a fork or bottom of cup, carefully flatten cookies until about 2-inches in diameter.
- 8. Bake cookies until just golden brown around the edges, 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.