In my opinion, one of the most exciting things about summer and warmer temperatures is the ability to get outside and adventure. Perhaps you live in a place where you can do this year round, but in Portland, summer is like a huge prize that awaits us all year, where the clouds finally break free and it comes alive in a new way.
Last week on Instagram, I asked all of you fellow foodies what you’d like to see on the blog this week. I was overwhelmed with the requests for a summer picnic sandwich!! Obviously I was thrilled, as I knew it would not only further my excitement for these long summer days, but also give me opportunity to bring a recipe that was not only delicious, but inspiring.
This veggie and harissa hummus sandwich is something you can pull together in just a few minutes, pack up and head out with. I’d recommend bringing along a nice bottle of rose’, chips, fresh fruit, and this green goddess quinoa summer salad ! The prosciutto is optional, yet a delicious addition.
And let me tell you – this hummus is addicting! I’d definitely recommend making a double batch and bringing along some carrots and cucumber or snap peas to dip.
Alright so there you go- your next outing set up for success! Go ahead, up your summer picnic game with this veggie + harissa hummus sandwich. I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below!
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this week’s recipe, always a delight to hear from you : ) .
Up your summer picnic game with this veggie + harissa hummus sandwich
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons Harissa hummus recipe below
- Fresh spinach approximately 1 cup
- 1-2 large English cucumbers cut into ¼” slices
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup micro greens
- ½ cup watercress or alfalfa sprouts
- 6-8 thin slices prosciutto optional
- 8 slices rustic bread any variety, sliced ¾” thick
- 1 - 15 oz can 283g drained organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Harissa past I used this - great to have on hand!
- 4 oz. 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 small cloves roasted garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons water optional
- Place all ingredients except for water in a blender or food processor and puree until thoroughly combined and the texture is to your liking. Add water only if needed, to your consistency preference.
To assemble sandwiches: feel free to layer however you like, or follow this guide!
- Spread one slice of bread with 1 tablespoon each of goat cheese and hummus.
- Place a small handful (~1/4 cup) of spinach on top of the hummus
- Add 6-8 slices of cucumber
- Add 3-4 avocado slices
- Add a few red onions
- Add ~1 tablespoon micro greens
- Add ~ 2 tablespoons of watercress or sprouts.
- Optional: Add prosciutto
- Top with second slice of bread.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a total of four sandwiches.