Valentine’s Day is coming up! I’m not sure if you’ve made plans yet, or maybe you’re like me with no plans at all. But after seeing this french toast recipe, maybe you’ll be inspired to take some time in your kitchen and make some goodness! Really, I do hope that you are full of excitement after seeing how easy this sweet recipe for french toast with poached pears is to make.
So lets talk: regardless if you have a loved one to spend this Valentine’s Day with, who says you can’t have a date with yourself? I love to do special things every once and a while, just to take time to be and savor all that is happening in life at the moment.
Eating good food, drinking a cup of tea or coffee, and enjoying this french toast is the best way to do so, wouldn’t you agree? And here’s a tip for you, this french toast as breakfast in bed would be simply divine.
This recipe has the perfect amount of sweetness combined with the crunchy texture of almonds. The poached pears come out tasting bright and creamy, with a touch of spice from the cinnamon and anise. The french toast is rich and perfectly toasted in the coconut oil. Topping it with whipped cream, powdered sugar, maple syrup, toasted almonds, and the optional addition of fresh raspberries and pomegranate seeds — well…lets just say I couldn’t stop eating this after yesterday’s shoot!
One of the best parts is that this recipe lends extra pears, so you can keep them on hand for the next morning’s breakfast, served with yogurt, pancakes or hey, even for dessert that night with a spoon of vanilla ice cream! Options are endless! I hope you enjoy, and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below on how you enjoyed this and who you shared it with!
Sweet Valentine's Day French Toast with Poached Pears
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup half/half cream + whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 thick slices brioche bread
- Coconut oil for frying
- Whipped cream
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Pure maple syrup
- Rasperries optional
- Pomegranates optional
- 4 red pears halved, peeled and cores removed
- 6 c. water
- 1/4 c. honey
- 6 hibiscus tea bags
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 c. thinly sliced almonds
- Heat large cast iron pan on stovetop to medium low heat and add coconut oil to coat bottom of pan.
- In small, shallow bowl, whisk eggs, cream, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Dip each piece of bread into mixture, coating each side and place in pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes or so on each side or until lightly browned and slightly crispy.
- To serve french toast, place bread on plate, top with whipped cream, sliced poached pears, toasted almonds and additional fruits like raspberries and pomegranates, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- In a medium to large pot, boil 6 cups water. Turn down to medium heat and add honey, tea bags and spices. Add pears, gently stir and cover. Simmer for 20 mins or until fork inserted into pears is soft. Remove from heat and let sit to begin cooling in liquid ( you can enjoy them at any temperature, use as soon as your french toast is ready!).
- Remove pears from liquid and slice into wedges for serving. Leftovers can be stored in sealed container in fridge for up to 1 week. Enjoy poaching liquid as tea on the side.
- In small saucepan over medium heat, warm butter. Add almonds and stir until lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.