Chocolate espresso muffins – is there a better combination? When I developed this recipe, the day before I literally could not figure out what to make. That rarely happens – it’s maybe happened once or twice where it takes me a bit to figure out what to shoot. Maybe I had an off day for prepping, hey? But good news is, I landed on a winner – an absolute winner.
These muffins are my favorite thing since the best banana bread you’ve ever tasted. I mean, what else would you want for breakfast? They’re chock full of healthy ingredients, like raw cacao, coconut oil, coconut milk, greek yogurt: basically, they’re perfectly healthy ( and energizing!) for your every day.
Tip: because they’re made with coconut oil, after they cool to room temp they stiffen up a bit. To the point where you might think that they aren’t so soft and moist when you take your first bite. So, make sure you pop your muffin into the microwave for 10-15 seconds, just enough to warm the oil back up. You’ll instantly have a rockin’ chocolaty muffin ready to devour.
Exciting news, upcoming event!! On Sunday, March 5th I’m co hosting a brunch gathering in partnership with my sweet friend Sarah, the award-winning author of My New Roots and the newly released Naturally Nourished, and Mona & Jaret of Tournant (my Secret Supper chefs) ! It will center around fresh, vibrant, local food served in a warm communal setting in Portland’s Northeast district. Mona and Jaret will prepare an abundant 4-course vegetarian brunch inspired by brand new recipes from Naturally Nourished and Christiann’s latest Ebook.
You can find ticket information here, and don’t delay as we’re already nearly sold out for both seatings.
Have a lovely week, friends! Let me know what you think of these muffins in the comments below!
Chocolate Espresso Muffins
- 1½ cups 210g all-purpose flour or 1 to 1 GF flour blend
- ½ cup 50g/1.7 oz. natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed or 3/4 c. coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon coffee finely ground
- 3/4 c. dark chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt or dairy free yogurt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk full fat, in can
- 3-4 oz. dark chocolate bar melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sugar optional for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Grease muffin pan or place in muffin cups.
- In large bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, coffee grounds, baking powder, soda, salt, cardamom, sugar, and chocolate chips. Whisk to mix.
- In a small bowl, add eggs, yogurt, coconut oil ( melted but at room temp) and vanilla. In a small glass jar, add coconut milk from the can, stir, and warm slowly in the microwave until the fat dissolves and you can stir it smooth, as you don't want to add the chunky milk from the can straight into the batter. Add coconut milk to wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate bar, stirring until silky smooth. Remove from heat. While whisking wet ingredients, pour in melted chocolate and stir constantly until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and using a wooden spoon, mix just until combined ( do not over mix ).
- Fill muffin tins just below the top of the cup and sprinkle with sugar. Place in oven and bake 12 -18 minutes ( this will entirely depend on what size baking pan you use!) or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then remove and allow to cool on a wire rack. Enjoy up to 3 days after! These are perfectly moist when warm, but if you're enjoying them after they cool, warm them in a microwave for about 10-15 seconds, as the coconut oil firms them up when cooled.