There are a handful of recipes that I make consistently. They are easy, make me feel good and are totally delicious.
All 3 of those things are key to my making a recipe or “non recipe recipe” over and over again. I realized recently that I don’t talk about these kitchen staples enough. So here’s recipe 1! This vegan golden milk smoothie checks all the boxes. In addition, it’s really affordable to make. Something that is key for an everyday recipe.
One of the key ingredients here is turmeric.
It’s sometimes called Indian saffron or the golden spice. Turmeric is a tall plant that grows in Asia and Central America. I will say, don’t accidentally spill it on your white carpet : ). Yes, speaking from experience. Come to find out, the bright yellow color of processed turmeric has inspired many cultures to use it as a dye. It’s intense. But with that comes a lot of benefits.
This smoothie is for you if:
You have a busy morning routine
Aren’t a huge breakfast eater
Want a healthy, feel good option
Need something on the go
Want more than just a granola bar on your way to work
Benefits of turmeric:
Improves liver function
May reduce risk of cancer
Read more about health benefits here.
There are some key ingredients to making this smoothie what I like to call, “ultra- delicious”:
1- Quality golden milk powder.
I have tested a few, and I swear by Gaia Herbs Golden Milk Powder. Get it here with 1 day shipping. Whole Foods also carries it, but it’s more expensive.
2- Homemade almond milk.
it’s definitely worth it. This recipe from the archives makes it easy for you. Just pick up this nut milk bag (key for an easy process). Homemade adds to the richness in flavor and creamy factor. You can also use coconut milk, oat milk or any other dairy free substitutions.
- 8 oz almond milk
- 1 tablespoons golden milk powder ( I like Gaia Herbs)
- 1 teaspoon date syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
- 1 frozen banana
- Optional: extra turmeric spice
- Add all ingredients to blender and puree until smooth. Enjoy!
Just 1 tablespoon of turmeric provides:
26 percent of daily manganese needs
16 percent of daily iron
5 percent of daily potassium
3 percent of daily vitamin C
- You can always add extra turmeric. I love the added kick and of course the health benefits make it a win win.
- If you are near a Trader Joes, they have this amazing turmeric ginger coconut beverage. This can be used in place of golden milk powder. Just adjust the below to: 3 oz almond milk, 5 oz turmeric ginger coconut beverage and omit the powder. Easy.
- Feel free to make a double batch and keep the leftovers in the blender for the next morning. It keeps and re blends perfectly.
- If you don’t have date syrup (although I highly recommend having some in your cupboard, get it here), you can sub for 1 medjool date, pit removed.