Yes to Cake. Always. As a lifestyle…who’s with me?
Now, I’m not talking about yes to sugary, overly sweet, hardly any flavor cakes that you have to eat with ice cream in order for it to be moist and delish. I’m talking about a cake – these spiced molasses mini cakes that are not only delicious, moist, and packed with flavor, but are “good” for you. As good as cake can be : ).
These spiced molasses mini cakes are pretty much everything a cake should be. Especially for these cool winter months. Nothing better than a slice served with a warm cup of tea to pair. Just in case you’re wondering, you can have this for breakfast. Absolutely. Paired with coffee, you just might find yourself in heaven.
- 223 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) butter
- 117 grams ( ¾ cup) coconut sugar
- 75 grams ( ½ cup) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup organic robust-flavored (dark) molasses unsulfured
- 2 tablespoons organic pure maple syrup
- 4 ounces (½ cup) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons bourbon (or vanilla extract)
- 294 grams (2 cups) gluten free flour (Highly recommend this)
- 42 grams (⅓ cup) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- White sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cake pan. Sprinkle with sugar (optional).
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours, salt, baking powder, and spices.
- Using an electric mixer, in a separate bowl, beat butter until creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy, 1-2 additional minutes.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then egg yolk.
- While mixer is on medium low speed, pour in molasses, maple syrup and then bourbon (or vanilla). Scrape bowl and re mix until smooth.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with sour cream.
- Add batter to cake pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan for 10-20 minutes. Carefully loosen edges with knife and turn out onto rack and cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
1- recipe quantity fills 1 regular sized bundt pan
2- If you want this to be entirely refined sugar free, substitute the brown sugar for coconut sugar.