Sharing a favorite recipe collection for Charred Cabbage, Grapefruit, Rose Apple & Arugula Salad with Toasted Macadamia Nuts, captured a while back while Sarah Britton was in town. We set a day aside and went to the Oregon Coast to develop/shoot a series of recipes. See our collaboration and corresponding posts below:
The day was so beautiful, and I loved editing this collection reminiscing of it all!
So to the recipe…..
As you can see, this recipe is incredibly stunning, especially when prepared over an open fire or grill.
Regardless if you use this method and prepare outdoors, it will be absolutely delicious. For all steps that require heat, feel free to use a cast iron skillet over an outdoor grill, or simply over a regular stove top.
Highly recommend making a double batch of the vinaigrette. Incredible to have on hand and works well with all types of salads. If you’re not able to char your grapefruit over a flame, you can either 1- roast in an oven at 425, half side up, brushed with honey or 2 – use fresh. Squeezing by hand works great, or you can use a juicer for an effective and time saving method.
Charred Cabbage, Grapefruit, Rose Apple & Arugula Salad with toasted Macadamia Nuts
- 3-4 large handfuls Napa cabbage
- 4 Grapefruit mix of halves and slices, charred, juice squeezed
- 1 Rose apple or any variety, sliced
- ½ cup macadamia nuts toasted
- Arugula few handfuls
- Tarragon few stems, leaves only
- Coconut oil for sautéing
- Optional garnish: charred grapefruit slices cut in half
Charred Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- ½ cup cold pressed sesame oil
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoon grapefruit juice charred, if possible
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon honey warmed
- Pinch flake sea salt to taste
- Tear large pieces of cabbage. Rinse and pat dry.
- Over medium heat in large cast iron skillet, add a light layer of coconut oil to coat pan. Place grapefruit halves and slices face down. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until lightly charred. Add additional coconut oil as needed to prevent from sticking. When grill marks evenly appear, remove from heat. Set aside.
- In same skillet, still over medium heat, toss cabbage and torn tarragon leaves every few seconds to lightly char for a few short minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Part 3, same skillet, same temp: add 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, melt. Toss in chopped macadamia nuts. Sauté for 2-4 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk oil, squeezed grapefruit juice, vinegar, mustard and honey. Season with salt. Store any leftovers in an airtight jar in the fridge. Lasts several weeks.
- Prepare salad: In large salad bowl, add cabbage and tarragon, arugula, sliced apples. Toss with vinaigrette, amount to your preference. Top with optional slices charred grapefruit and toasted nuts. Serve immediately.