Summer is in full swing in Portland!
It’s absolutely beautiful this time of year and there’s no better place to be than outside. After months of clouds and rain, everyone soaks up the sun day and night.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a relaxing outdoor space. When I moved into my apartment, I couldn’t believe this stunning balcony right outside my door. I set out on a mission to fill the space with some beautiful pieces that would make me feel like I have my own tropical paradise. Crate & Barrel was the perfect go to for my redesign.
C&B’s outdoor lounge line is designed with special weather-resistant features, from Sunbrella fabric slipcovers to marine grade frames and water-draining cushions.
The quality is remarkable. You can rest assured that your investment will last, rain or shine. I chose the Dune collection in light grey for a sleek, modern look. Just make sure to get the Outdoor Large Sectional Cover to protect your pieces in harsh weather.
Check out my step by step process and guide to create your own tropical escape over on the C&B blog! It also includes tips on hosting your first party. I’ve included my recipe to pair for Linguine with Tequila Shrimp & Clams here as well.
I’d love to see what you create this summer! If you have questions feel free to reach out via IG or my website. Share your outdoor before and after shots on social media by tagging @crateandbarrel and @christiannkoepke!
Linguine with Tequila Shrimp & Clams
- ½ lb. shrimp fresh (any variety, deveined)
- ¾ lb. littleneck clams fresh and scrubbed clean
- 1 ½ lb. 765g linguine
- 110 g ½ cup olive oil, separated, plus additional for serving
- 6 large garlic cloves crushed
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt separated, plus more for finishing72g (⅓ cup) Patron tequila (or other variety)
- 12 g small bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup butter
- fresh cracked pepper & sea salt
- 55 g ¼ cup of olive oil used for finishing
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons red pepper infused olive oil or similar spicy olive oil
- Over medium heat, warm ¼ cup olive oil in Dutch oven. Toss garlic, stirring often, until golden around the edges, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden and fragrant.
- Stir in tequila. Toss quickly.
- Add clams and ¼ cup water. Bring heat up to boil quickly, tossing to combine. Cover and cook until clams are open, 5–7 minutes.
- Uncover pot and transfer clams to a medium bowl, leaving liquid in pot. If any clams are still closed, cover pot again and cook a few minutes longer, then transfer to bowl with others (discard any that have not opened at this point).
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions. *Be prepared to retain 3 cups pasta cooking liquid prior to draining. Set aside when finished. Cover to keep warm.
- While pasta is boiling, in small bowl, toss shrimp with remaining ¼ cup olive oil and ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In cast iron pan over medium heat, warm with a light glug of olive oil to coat. Saute shrimp just until no longer translucent and slightly pink.
- Once shrimp is done, toss in with finished clams. Quickly replace lid (any heat retained will create a steam like effect to further infuse the clams and shrimp in garlic, chili and tequila. Toss in a ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Transfer pasta to clam pot. Place back on heat.
- Add 3 cups reserved pasta cooking liquid and bring to a light simmer. Cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente, about 3- 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add basil and toss with butter until melted. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Enjoy!