Valentine’s week: the perfect time to celebrate those close in your life that you love love love!
It’s always so much sweeter, and more delicious to enjoy a homemade dessert vs a quick pick up from the store. So why not carve out some time and make and gift these pretty lemon cakes with hot pink glaze? They’re perfect and best enjoyed with a glass of champagne.
Hanging out with friends is cool way to enjoy V-Day weekend. Cheers to friendship & unconditional love.
On the recipe:
You can utilize any mini cake pan. Or – if you prefer, feel free to use a normal 8” round or square cake pan. Just adjust the cook time accordingly.
The best part about these cakes is the hot pink glaze! Easily achievable with a splash of beet juice. Make it yourself with a home juicer, or – pick some up at your local raw juice shop. You’ll only need 1 tablespoon, so you can enjoy the rest while you’re baking away.
Happy V-Day, Friends! Thanks to everyone who helped inspire this recipe. Love our community!
Pretty Lemon Cakes with Hot Pink Glaze (Gluten Free)
Yield 8 mini cakes
You can utilize any mini cake pan you like. If you prefer, feel free to use a normal 8” round or square cake pan. Just adjust the cook time accordingly.
- 226g (1 cup (2 sticks)) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon white rum (or sub vanilla extract)
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) buttermilk
- 302g (2 cups) King arthur 1-1 flour (or sub regular all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 68g (½ cup) organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 oz. (½ cup) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh beet juice, store bought or homemade
- ¼ teaspoon white rum (or sub vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cake pan(s) well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until creamy, 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy, 1-2 additional minutes.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then add egg yolk. Add rum.
- In a small bowl, stir buttermilk with lemon juice and zest.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with milk mixture.
- Add batter to cake pans, being careful to not fill too full (only to about 2/3rds mark)
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25-35 minutes pending pan size . Cool in pan for 10-20 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- To prepare glaze: in a small bowl, add sifted powdered sugar and beet juice. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- In mixer with medium size bowl and whisk attachment, beat the whipped cream on medium-high until the cream begins to thicken, but only just a bit.
- Add sugar and beet juice. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle over cooled cakes. Garnish with various sprinkles/toppings if you like. Enjoy!