My favorite part of the holidays is baking!
As much as I love cakes and pies, there is a special place in my heart for cookies. They are fun to make and easy to eat or package as gifts. So, as an early Christmas gift to you, I have the perfect recipe! Espresso Molasses Holiday Cookies. Yes friends, you heard me correctly…Espresso AND molasses.
You may not be ready for this crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, cookie magic.
This recipe is too good to make solo (because you just might eat them all yourself). Do yourself a favor and call a few friends for cookie baking party. As you know, I believe that any occasion or task is a great excuse for a party. Not all parties have to include 20+ people. When you need to make several dozen cookies, you need extra hands and good vibes (and people to stop you from eating all the cookies). So, consider inviting 2-3 friends over.
We live in the age of dietary restriction so know that this recipe is 100% gluten free. Everyone can eat and enjoy them.
Espresso Molasses Holiday Crinkles (Gluten-Free)
Yield 2-3 dozen
Looking for the perfect, non traditional holiday cookie? Well look no further ; ). With the unexpected addition of espresso, these sweet, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside cookies provide just the perfect afternoon pick me up. Best served with coffee of course, or - hot cocoa.
262g (2 cups) gluten free flour (I recommended King arthur 1-1)
½ tablespoon espresso, finely ground
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cardamom
3/4 cup (170g / 1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature157g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
1 large egg
102g (3.5oz. / ⅓ cup) dark molasses
Raw sugar (for rolling)
Powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Stir until incorporated and set aside.
- In an electric mixer beat sugar and butter for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Add egg. Beat until well combined.
- Scrape bowl. Add the molasses and beat again until smooth.
- Place raw sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and roll into balls lightly.
- Roll each ball in sugar and place on baking sheets, spacing 2” apart.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are puffed, cracked, and just set around the edges.
- Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cookies and enjoy!
CK Cookie Favorites
Be sure to have containers ready for your friends to take cookies home. This is if you all don’t eat them all 🙂
Feel free to ping me in the comments or on social if you have any questions. I cannot wait to see photos of your holiday cookies. And- make sure to check out more over on Crate & Barrel.
Can’t wait to see what you create! If you have questions feel free to reach out via IG or my website. Share your cookie and party shots on social media by tagging @crateandbarrel and @christiannkoepke!
[Post is sponsored. All opinions are my own]