It’s almost Memorial Day, can you believe it?! I love this holiday as it’s the perfect opportunity to truly kick off the warm Summer months. There’s no better way to celebrate than to gather some friends around and enjoy an evening together.
I partnered with the Port wine producer Fonseca to bring you an original, summer focused cocktail recipe featuring their Siroco. I loved working with this wine because it’s not your typical expected bottle of wine. The Fonseca Siroco is a dry, white Port. Most people are familiar with Port as a drink to be enjoyed at the end of a meal, but that’s not always the case. There are many styles of Port—some can be sipped on their own and others can be used as a base ingredient in a cocktail!
With the Siroco’s blend of classic white Port grape varieties, developing it into this Lavender Lemonade Port Cocktail was absolutely delicious and unexpected. I chose to pair it with a bright, sparkling lemonade and a floral element which comes through the lavender simple syrup.
This recipe can easily be made in a larger batch, prepared just before your guests arrive in a pitcher.
Just multiply the portions below for however many people you have. You can also set out a bottle or two of the Port itself, for friends that want to try both, or – simply enjoy the Siroco in a chilled glass. Either way, you’ll be sure to have a beautiful evening.
To complete the party, set out some bright, summer forward salads and sides and have your friends bring their favorite appetizer to share. Make sure to share your moments with @christiannkoepke and @fonsecaport, and by hashtagging #PortCocktails and #PortNParty. Love to see how you choose to enjoy it!
[Post is sponsored and all opinions are my own]
Lavender Lemonade Port Cocktail
Yield 1 drink
This Lavender Lemonade Port Cocktail is bright and floral. Exactly what I want to sip on a warm summer evening!
- 1 Lemon
- 2 ½ oz. Fonseca Siroco Dry White Port
- 1 oz. sparkling lemonade
- 1 ¼ oz. lavender simple syrup
- Edible flowers or fresh mint (optional garnish)
Lavender Simple Syrup
Makes 1 cup syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender blossoms
Prepare simple syrup:
- Combine water, sugar, and lavender blossoms in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer on low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let syrup steep, about 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup through mesh strainer into jar. Let cool. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Cut ½ lemon into wedges. Slice remaining half for garnish.
- In the bottom of a cocktail shaker, crush using muddler.
- Add Fonseca Siroco dry white port and simple syrup.
- Add ice and cover with cocktail topper.
- Shake well. Pour into glass. Garnish (optional). Enjoy!
- Top off with lemonade. Garnish with lemon and/or mint.