Summer is in full swing, so you know what that means…Ice cream!
I’ve been inspired lately to develop and produce more frozen summer sweet recipes lately, starting with this recipe! If you love Matcha, you just might be over the moon with this matcha coconut ice cream recipe as I am. It’s vegan, super creamy and smooth and showcases traditional matcha paired with coconut. It’s super easy to make too – you don’t even need an ice cream maker. That’s right – you can just blend and freeze. Easy.
Matcha ice cream is of course delicious and refreshing, plus – it has the added benefit of “feel good”.
Did you know that Matcha green tea Fortifies the immune system and limits the invasion and growth of viruses and bacteria in the body? The special catechin antioxidant called EGCg is effective in fighting and protecting the body against various bacterial and viral infections* (21). EGCg binds to cells in the body and inhibits the growth of many disease-causing microorganisms. [source: tenzotea.com]. Amazing, right?
On top of the immune system support, there are several ways that Matcha Tea Improves Your Health:
- Matcha is high in antioxidants. It’s rich in catechins, a class of plant compounds in tea that act as natural antioxidants.
- May help protect the liver
- Boosts brain function
- May help prevent cancer
- May promote heart health
- Helps you lose weight
Read more about the benefits here!
Matcha Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan)
If you love Matcha, you just might be over the moon with this recipe. It’s super creamy and smooth, showcasing traditional matcha paired with coconut. It’s super easy to make and even dairy free!
- 2 cans (13.5 ounces each) full fat coconut milk (I highly recommend Thai Kitchen)
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons matcha tea powder
- 72 grams (⅓ cup) organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon vodka (optional - to help texture once it’s frozen)
- Pinch sea salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm coconut milk and condensed milk slowly, stirring. When it hits just before a near simmer, remove from heat.
- Add matcha, sugar and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Set aside and allow to infuse and cool.
- Once mixture has cooled to room temperature, stir in optional vodka.
- Puree cooled mixture in blender for a few seconds until creamy and extra smooth.
- Freeze directly in freezer, or - if you have an ice cream maker, follow manufacturers instructions for making ice cream. When frozen, transfer to an airtight container; cover. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours. Pull from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly before serving.
Ps – this ice cream makes incredible ice cream sandwiches! Check it out here. Just let the finished ice cream warm on the counter for a few minutes (till soft enough to work with), then cut slices and pair with any cookie of your choice. Re-freeze until solid and enjoy.
Happy ice cream making!