Every year, Valentine’s Day comes and goes. For some, it’s well loved; spent with a significant other. For some, it’s that unwanted reminder that we still haven’t found “our person”.
I’ve decided to take a different approach this year.
This breakfast is dedicated to my best friend. The person who loves me year round, who shops with me, laughs with me, and sits by side after a break up. Who says a V-Day gift has to be only romantic? It doesn’t. So this year I am gifting a beautiful breakfast to one of the most important people in my life. My Bestie.
I asked ya’ll what you’d make for your Bestie if you had a Saturday morning free. The response was incredible! Seriously you all had some amazing food ideas – all of which were so incredibly thoughtful.
I was especially inspired by Victoria’s note –
“Blueberry pancakes—real syrup, little wild Maine blueberries. When she [my Bestie] was recovering from a double mastectomy (early breast cancer diagnosis. We’re only in our early 30s!) the pancakes I’d make her were some of the only food she wanted to eat. And lots of coffee and tea! And now, we’d throw in a cocktail too.”
Incredible, right? How the simple things in life are sometimes the most treasured moments spent between friends.
Here’s to our Bestie’s. Let’s make this year a special one…
Make sure to share your Valentine’s moment with the community hashtag #ckweekends and tag me! I’d love to see!
Thank you for your inspiring food ideas!
….If you want to also “gift” your Bestie – how about a beautiful copper spoon like this? Handmade by Jill, it will last forever. The perfect treasured piece.
Buckwheat Pancakes with Rose Apples & Blueberries (Gluten Free)
- 3 eggs
- 350 ml 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- 100 ml ½ cup creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 150 g 1 ⅓ cups buckwheat flour
- 150 g 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp GF flour 1-1 blend (recommended)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Coconut oil for frying
- Rose apples thinly sliced
- Granola this recipe!
- Maple Syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, creme fraiche, syrup and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir just until incorporated, being careful to not overmix.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add coconut oil.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
- Brown on both sides and serve hot with toppings of choice.