Gluten-Free Strawberry Coffee Cake with a golden buttery streusel topping is just the sweet treat you need to celebrate Mother’s Day, or any occasion when the sun is shining.
Whether you’re planning a Mother’s Day breakfast in bed extravaganza, a mid-morning brunch, a luncheon with friends, or even a dinner party, this cake has a place on your table this May. The sweet juice of plump ripe strawberries soaks into the coffee cake for a bit of berry flavor in every bite.
Plus, the simple streusel topping adds just the right amount of buttery sweetness to let this loaf transition easily from breakfast to tea time to dessert.
How to Make Gluten-Free Strawberry Coffee Cake
Yes, this recipe is gluten-free. However, you don’t need any special ingredients to make a dense, moist, and tender coffee cake without gluten. In fact, no one will be able to guess that this berry cake is made with gluten-free flour!
The dense, fudgy texture in this cake comes from sour cream, which also adds a nice bit of tang. I also kept this quick bread recipe free of refined sugar by using coconut sugar instead of processed white sugar. However, if you only have granulated sugar at home, no need to make an extra trip to the store. You can easily swap coconut sugar for regular.
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1¾ cups + 1 tablespoon gluten-free 1-1 all-purpose flour (such as King Arthur)
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups coconut sugar + more for pan, optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, rinsed and dried
- Crumble Topping
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- ½ cup butter, cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a bundt cake pan. If you like, dust the interior of the pan with coconut sugar. Pat out any excess sugar.
2. In a small saucepan, melt 1 cup of butter over medium heat. Swirl the pan occasionally for even cooking. Keep a close eye on the color, you’re looking for a golden tone. Once this is reached, pour the butter into a small bowl. Place in the freezer while you follow the next few steps.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the cooled browned butter with the coconut sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and whip again.
5. Beat in the vanilla, eggs, and yolk, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition.
6. Mixing on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream.
7. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan. Top with strawberries.
8. Add all of the crumble ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until it begins to stick together like a crumble. Be careful to not overmix, or it won’t separate when sprinkled on the cake.
9. Add the topping to the cake over the strawberries. Use a knife to push the topping lightly into the cake to create a marbled effect.
10. Bake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, about 60-70 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Loosen the edges carefully with a knife to ensure a clean removable. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
Other Flavor Ideas for Coffee Cake
You can easily turn this summery treat into an all-year-round go-to recipe by simply swapping strawberries for another seasonal fruit. Other berries, including blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all delicious baked into coffee cake. And when berry season is over, you can even use frozen fruit with no changes to the recipe.
For a totally different spin, try diced peaches, cherries, or another stone fruit. You could even go tropical with mango or pineapple!
If you find a new flavor pairing you love in this gluten-free loaf cake, be sure to let me know in the comments section!
More Recipes for Your Mother’s Day Menu
Planning ahead to spoil Mom? Here are some more favorite dishes perfect for Mother’s Day:
- Crispy Salmon Sliders with Lemon Aioli are an all-out treat for lunch, complete with a refreshing slaw and toasted brioche buns.
- Vegan Bagel Sandwiches with Carrot Lox are a delicate and sophisticated plant-based addition to brunch.
- Roasted Carrots with Shallots, Fennel, and Mint is a beautiful display of fresh seasonal produce sure to make a splash on your Mother’s Day spread.