Hello friends! Bringing you Part II of this end of summer grilling series. Just in case you missed Part I, you can check it out here! You’ll find recipes for leek-encrusted cedar planked salmon and grilled whole camembert, honeycomb, grapes & endive. Trust me, not to miss.
This project is in collaboration with my sweet friends Mona & Jaret over at @tournantpdx. The recipes included here for Part II are a total “must make” – these two wow me every time! I hope you enjoy them as much as we all did.
The Heirloom Tomato, Peach & Purslane Salad recipe is great for those warm summer evenings when you want something light and refreshing. It’s time to take advantage of all those end of summer tomatoes, and this is a great way to do so!
You can try seeking out fresh purslane at your local farmers market, though arugula would be a nice alternative as well. If you’re unable to find sumac (a middle-eastern grocery is a good bet) substitute with a healthy squeeze of lemon over everything.
The shrimp fideo, a Spanish pasta dish, is absolutely delicious when prepared in a cast iron grill on an outdoor fire while at the beach camping with friends.
The smokiness of the fire adds remarkable flavor. You can also make this at home however, on the stove. You won’t garner the smokiness, but it will be delicious, nonetheless! You can source fideo here, and if you want to invest in a versatile cast iron pan, I recommend this.
Click here for 9 easy steps on how to prepare for your next adventure out with friends like we enjoyed here. It’s summer’s end and time to feast before those cool days come rolling in!
Make sure to share your cooking experiences with the community by posting to the hashtag #ckweekends!
Heirloom Tomato, Peach & Purslane Salad
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is great for those warm summer evenings when you want something light and refreshing. You can try seeking out fresh purslane at your local farmers market, though arugula would be a nice alternative as well. If you’re unable to find sumac (a middle-eastern grocery is a good bet) substitute with a healthy squeeze of lemon over everything.
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 2 peaches, sliced
- Pinch or two of flaky salt
- White balsamic (to taste)
- Good olive oil (to taste)
- 1 cup of picked purslane leaves
- Handful of picked mint leaves
- Handful of picked Italian parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon sumac, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- In a medium sized bowl, toss sliced tomatoes and peaches together with a good pinch or two of salt and drizzle of white balsamic and olive oil to taste.
- Add purslane and remaining herbs, then sprinkle sumac over the surface.
- Mix together gently with your hands, then taste for seasoning, adding additional salt, oil or vinegar to taste.
- Layer in a shallow bowl, crumble feta over the salad and garnish with a nice sprinkling of sumac.
Yield 4 servings
This dish is best made in a cast iron grill on an outdoor fire while at the beach camping with friends. The smokiness of the fire adds remarkable flavor. Also delicious on your home stove in your cast iron skillet which provides a different flavor.
- 6 ounces of deveined shrimp sautéed
- ¼ cup of olive oil plus 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Japanese eggplant
- 1 cup fideo or angel hair pasta broken into one inch lengths
- 1 cup of diced white onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups of water or vegetable stock
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- Squeeze of a whole lemon
- Small handful of fresh herbs of your choice
Saute' shrimp in pan with a ¼ cup olive oil till cooked through; salt and pepper to taste
Remove shrimp and put to the side
Saute the japanese eggplant in pan used to cook the shrimp till there is color on both sides, then remove and set aside
Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to the pan
Add 1 cup diced white onion
Once the onion is translucent and lightly brown, add the dry white wine, and reduce by half
Add in 3 cups water or vegetable stock to the pan
Bring to a boil and scatter fideo evenly over the surface
Return to a simmer and add the eggplant back in
Simmer on high till all liquid is almost absorbed
Scatter ½ cup cherry tomatoes and reserved shrimp over the fideo while the remaining liquid is being absorbed
Remove from heat and garnish with fresh herbs and lemon